Re: Linux 2.4 future

From: Tomas Konir
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 09:21:34 EST

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> Em Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 02:38:54PM -0500, Tomas Konir escreveu:

> > > Why not ReiserFS4? Or DRBD? Or... :-)
> >
> > ReiserFS4 is stable ? very new information for me.
>
> Well, some people may well consider :-) But yes, this was my fault, I should
> have just mentioned DRBD and other patches in similar situation, just look
> at any recent 2.4 rpm from any distro.

Distro kernels contains many features, but a lot of bloat :-(
no one pure distro kernel can be used as server kernel.
(only my opinion)

> > > Like I was discussing with Marcelo: if he stated that 2.4 will get in deep
> > > freeze, it means that the external patches for this kernel will not have to
> > > be maintained, or the maintainance will be very very small, and related to
> > > things that are _outside_ the kernel.
> >
> > 2.2 external patches are not related to other's now.
>
> 2.2?
>
> > Why 2.4 patches will be ?
>
> Havent you mentioned grsecurity?

grsecurity is good example. I have to merge cca 10 rejects, when adding to
linux-xfs kernel.

> > This discussion is not about unstable testing feature, but about rock
> > stable filesystem, used by many. Including in kernel can help without
>
> It is about adding a new feature, whatever is the opinion of people about
> its stability or not, in a kernel that is being phased out.

agree
but this feature is wanted by many and still rejected without serious
reasons.

> > stability compromise. I think, that there is no reliable argument to
> > not include XFS into main kernel.
>
> But it is included, in 2.6, where it seems to be showing problems, as
> mentioned by Linus some days ago, I for one was using it and stopped, switched
> to ext3 and have had no problems since.

2.6 is still unstable now. I'm using -test10 on my workstation, but it
takes minimally an half year to use it on server. I can't use ext3 on
server, because of missing features such as ACL, dump (with acl's),
built in qouta and for last much different speed on SMP machine.

> But hey, take this discussion to lkml, there more people will be able to
> discuss with us :-)

roger
cc: to linux-kernel

MOJE