a few question on threads affinity and CPU shielding.

From: Nicolas Castagné
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 12:41:11 EST

Hi all,

I was very pleased that some patches for controlling CPU affinities were merged in the 2.5 (and 2.6) releases of the kernel.

Where may I find precisions on the patches that are now included ?

Especially, with the 2.6 release :
- is it possible to control the cpu affinity of threads (as for processes) ?
- is there also a patch to shield cpu against the scheduler ?
- is there also a patch to shield cpu against all interruptions (especially hard clock interrups) ?

We here are (very) used to SGI IRIX real time facilities, but also very new to linux.
We plan on porting our hard-real-time applications for multisensorial simulation on linux. These questions are very important to us.

Thx a lot in advance,
and please believe I am VERY sorry if this is not the correct list for my questions, and if I disturbed serious work ;-).
If so, please let me know !

Nicolas
Dr Nicolas CASTAGNE
Researcher, IR de l'ACROE / ICA,

Association pour la Création et la Recherche
sur les Outils d'Expression
Laboratoire Informatique et Création Artistique
INPG,
46 av. F. Viallet, 38000 Grenoble, France.

pro : (33) 4 76 57 46 60
fax : (33) 4 76 57 48 89