Re: Need help with diagnosing SCSI related (probably hardware?) problem (DC395 driver)

From: Kurt Garloff
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 10:40:07 EST

Oliver,

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:08:39PM +0100, Oliver Feiler wrote:
> CC'ing to Kurt Garloff since he wrote the driver initially and might be the
> best person to ask what the syslog output means. Are you still maintaining
> the DC395 driver, Kurt, or has someone else taken maintainership in the
> meantime?

For 2.6, Oliver Neukum and others have picked up the driver.
I maintain the 2.4 version still.

> Small followup to the described problem. I managed to get a "screenshot" from
> the kernel's syslog output. Indeed the driver is queueing endless SCSI resets
> with little success. These two pages (some parts may be missing. Taken with a
> digital camera) scroll over the screen endlessly. Can someone tell me from
> this what's going on and what it is causing the problem?
>
> http://home.kcore.de/~kiza/stuff/dc395.jpg
> http://home.kcore.de/~kiza/stuff/dc395-2.jpg
> (both 1024x768 ~100KB)

Hmm, it looks quite normal; the driver is trying to recover from errors.
Apparently the write10 (2a) timed out. Can you try to catch the first
error message?

Regards,
--
Kurt Garloff <garloff@xxxxxxx> Cologne, DE
SUSE LINUX AG, Nuernberg, DE SUSE Labs (Head)