Re: Disk Geometries reported incorrectly on 2.6.0-testX

From: Andrew Clausen
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 18:47:48 EST

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 10:40:25AM +0000, John Bradford wrote:
> > EFI GPT has some severe downsides (like requiring the last sector on
> > disk, which in linux may not be accessible if the total number of
> > sectors is not a multiple of 2, and making dd of one disk to another
> > impossible if the second one is bigger)
>
> EFI GPT is also a far more elaborate scheme than is necessary for a
> lot of installations.

Is this a problem?

> My 'requirements' are:
>
> * Good magic
>
> We have seen support for not very widely used partitioning schemes
> broken in the past when other schemes are checked for ahead of them.
> A simple scheme with well defined magic values reduces this risk.

I think magic doesn't belong in partition tables. I like probing.
Having the same data stored in two places makes things hairy
if you don't know how to resolve inconsistencies.

> * Simple
>
> The code for some of the partitioning schemes is full of workarounds
> for different implementations. Added complexity, and more variations
> increase the likelyhood of bugs.

If you're not interested in work-arounds, why not use LVM?

> * All partition information stored in one partition table
>
> Linked lists make re-arranging partitions, and backing up the
> partition table more difficult.

I don't think it's very difficult, but I agree that tables are nice
and simple.

Cheers,
Andrew