Re: Tell user when ACPI is killing machine

From: Aaron Lehmann
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 17:10:59 EST

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 03:55:58PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On critical overheat (or perceived critical overheat -- acpi bioses on
> some notebooks apparently report bogus values from time to time),
> kernel itself calls /sbin/halt *without telling anything*. User can
> not see anything, his machine just shuts down cleanly. Bad.

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but why doesn't ACPI scale the CPU
frequency back instead of shutting down? This is what APM does on my
laptop (presumably in the BIOS) but when I enable ACPI the machine
shuts down whenever I do something CPU intensive (yes; it's a poorly
designed laptop). I have cpufreq support (cpufreq: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU
On-Demand Clock Modulation available). Has this kind of thing been
added since I last tried it, or do I actually have to actively set up
cpufreq in user space to get thermally-induced clock modulation? Or is
not even possible with the current state of things?