Re: [patch] trivial change in kernel/sched.c in 2.6.0-test9+

From: Pat Erley
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 11:47:07 EST

> > If you can suggest a way to test this, I will test it on my system
> > tomorrow.
>
> Just off the top of my head, you could try something like a kernel
> compilation with and without it. I doubt you'll see any improvement,
> though.. there are very few places in the kernel where such
> micro-optimizations are worth it, IMVHO.

Well, I ran about 6 different compiles each on a patched and an unpatched,
and my 'average' savings were about 1 second per 6 minute compile, which is
negligible. I wonder if doing a make is a good test of this. Can anyone else
out there come up with another way to check this with a non-cpu hog
application? I'd like some other cases to test this in. I mean, when you do
a 'large' number of compiles that each take a half second, I can see
that saving a division and an addition really wouldn't make a big difference,
but in a situation where you have a large number of short lived threads in
a child process, it may end up saving a bit more.

Pat Erley