RE: hash table sizes

From: Zhang, Yanmin
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 00:54:47 EST

Tcp/ip have the same problem. See function tcp_init/ip_rt_init.

My colleague's testing on IA64 shows the same result like Jef's while
tcp_establish hash table applies for about 1G memory! Actually, it seems
it wants to apply for 4G memory at the beginning!

It's not a good idea to find a smart formula to fit into all scenarios.
We can add new command line parameters to setup the hash table size,
such as dentry_ht_size/inode_ht_size/tcp_estab_ht_size/ip_rt_ht_szie. If
users don't input such parameters, then kernel can use Jes's formula to
work out the size.