Re: Simplification in pbus_size_mem

From: Richard Curnow
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 10:29:36 EST

* Ivan Kokshaysky <ink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2003-11-20]:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:25:58PM +0000, Richard Curnow wrote:
> > So is the idea that by rounding up 'size' to 96Mb in this case, it's
> > guaranteed that there will be a 64Mb aligned chunk inside where the
> > framebuffer can go, still leaving enough room around for the other
> > allocation, _regardless_ of the alignment of the base of the memory
> > aperture? (Or if there are multiple PCI-to-PCI bridges, the aperture
> > base for any one bridge is going to depend on the sizes of the apertures
> > forwarded by the others, I suppose).
>
> Exactly.

OK, so it's a tricky general-case problem then. After a day or two
pondering, I doubt there's much that can be improved without sinking a
_lot_ of time into this.

> > How do I do that?
>
> Add a 'pcibios_fixup' routine for this platform, which does

Thanks for this info! It's useful to have at least another solution to
consider instead of the bodge we're already using.

> It can be either specific for that VGA controller (if it's built-in)

no, it's not built in.

Thanks again
Richard

--
Richard \\\ SuperH Core+Debug Architect /// .. At home ..
P. /// richard.curnow@xxxxxxxxxx /// rc@xxxxxxxxxx