Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 12:57:56 EST

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:25:41AM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:05:34PM +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:34:22PM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> >
> > > Excuse me ? Have you looked at the Howto lately ? There is
> > > only Broadcom and Intel which are not supported, which leaves plenty
> > > of choice (including many 802.11g and 802.11a cards).
> >
> > And Realtek (I own one such card) and ADMtek (I bought one by accident
> > in Canada) and Atheros and ... basically anything CardBus doesn't work.
>
> Wrong. There are wireless drivers for RealTek, ADMtek and
> Atheros.
> I may repeat myself like a parrot, but "Have you looked at the
> Howto lately ?". I think you exactly prove my point ;-)

Yes, I've looked at the howto several times, and even downloaded the
drivers.

You may have missed the second paragraph I wrote:

>>> Well, you might say that those have Linux drivers, although they're
>>> binary only, but that's about as useful as none if one has a 2.6 kernel.

Now I was wrong in a couple points:

As Linus pointed to me, the Atheros driver now works even with 2.6.

They're not binary only, but part-binary, which is somewhat better
(not dependent on exact kernel version, just on compiler version and
kernel major version).

But still both the Realtek and ADMtek drivers are useless with 2.6.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR