Re: 2.6.0-test9 VFAT problem

From: Vid Strpic
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 04:41:59 EST

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:46:51PM -0000, Patrick Beard wrote:
> >> FAT: Bogus number of reserved sectors
> >> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda
> >Oh, no, not again... :(
> >We had the same problem few weeks ago... a patch is in the archives, it
> >worked for me.
> I did apply Andries's 'Relax FAT checking' patch last night but the only
> difference I noticed was my belkin reader changed it's error to 'no media
> found' the camera still gave 'wrong fs...'

Hmmm.

> After advice from Philippe and Andries and the following I found on a
> website;
> "The problem is that Linux only looks at the disk geometry the first time
> the camera is plugged in. So when you unplug the camera and change the
> memory card Linux does not check to see if the geometry has changed."

I didn't know that... it shouldn't happen? I don't connect my camera by
usb-storage, I have a card reader, and it really behaves as removable
media device, as it should - checks size everytime. Maybe we should
change something here?

> I really hope I've not chased my tail by hitting the following combination
> 'up-patched inode.c' + 'trying to use sda after a deja search' and finally
> 'Linux only checking the geometry once'. I'd like to put this thread on hold
> until I take stock of the steps I've taken just to make sure I've not been a
> right 'plum'.

Well, those things sometimes take a lot of time.

--
vms@xxxxxxxxxxx, IRC:*@Martin, /bin/zsh. C|N>K
Linux moria 2.6.0-test9 #1 Sat Oct 25 23:00:37 CEST 2003 i686