Re: [2.6] Nonsense-messages from iptables + co.

From: Harald Welte
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 15:43:47 EST

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:01:19PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

> > I guess it was Rusty. The idea message is a funny way of telling you
> > that you are sending incomplete ip headers.
>
> Am I? what's with the *_limit() function called before the printk?

it's a generic network rate limiting function. It prevents the same
message from being logged and logged again (and thus flooding your
syslog).

> > Something that is not likely to occur unless you are trying to send
> > corrupt packets via raw ip sockets...
>
> Not at the times when these occurred.

there seemed to be a bug that I was unaware of, and according to other
mails in this thread it has been fixed.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.netfilter.org/
on while IP was being designed." -- Paul Vixie