USB mouse driver depends on module loading sequence to function properly ?

From: gary ng
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 21:15:15 EST

Hi,

I have a small USB to PS/2 converting device which has
one USB male to plug to the computer and the other end
has two PS/2 connector, one for keyboard, one for
mouse.

While it is recognized correctly by linux and all the
proper drivers loaded, the mouse just doesn't work but
the keyboard function normally(both plug to this
device). I use hotplug package to manage to

After some digging, I found that in order for the
mouse to be properly initiated(and it would work), I
have to do the module loading in the following
sequence :

modprobe usbcore
modprobe hid
modprobe usb-uhci

but by default, I do it as(well, hotplug does) :

modprobe usbcore
modprobe usb-uhci

What is even stranger is that if I just plug an USB
mouse in the system, the later sequence works.

So it seems that for this particular device(which has
two USB HID devices on the same bus), the loading
sequence of hid(must be before everything else) is
important in order for the mouse port to work but for
simple USB mouse, it doesn't matter.

I am not sure if this should be classified as a bug
and if it should be reported here. My current work
around is to just load hid right after usbcore.

I am using 2.4.21 vanilla kernel. Please let me know
if there is other information needed or if I should
report to a different devloper group(say hotplug).

regards,

gary