Re: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 116

From: Jesse Pollard
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 15:28:35 EST

On Thursday 13 November 2003 08:52, Martin.Knoblauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> "Richard B. Johnson" <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11/13/2003 03:39:53
>
> PM:
> > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, martin.knoblauch wrote:
[snip]
> > ESTALE happens when a mounted file-system is on a server that
> > went down or re-booted. The file-handles are then "stale".
>
> I am "alomost" sure that there were no reboot or failover events at the
> time of most of the stale messages. But I'm not going to lay my hand on the
> book for that.

ESTALE should occur whenever the client looses connection to the server,
or thinks it has lost connection. It isn't directly related to the server
other than the fact that a server reboot will also cause it to happen.

This should be a transient failure that recovers when communication verified
from some of the timeouts/retries associated with NFS.

At worst, it can require a remount of the NFS volumn.