Re: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 116

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 09:38:59 EST

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, martin.knoblauch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry if OT, but what is above message trying to tell me? Where can I
> find a translation of the numbers? We are seeing 116 very frequently,
> 512 and 5 on occasion.

ESTALE is "errno" 116
EIO is "errno" 5
ERESTARTSYS is "errno" 512

You can find these in /usr/include/asm/errno.h (not good to
directly include in a program).

The program reporting these errors should have included:

<errno.h>
<string.h>

Then used...
strerror(errno);
or
perror("");
etc.

Errno 512 should never be seen by user-mode program, so the
header file, /usr/include/linux/errno.h, states...

ESTALE happens when a mounted file-system is on a server that
went down or re-booted. The file-handles are then "stale".

EIO is a general catch-all for an I/O error.

ERESTARTSYS is the error returned by a server that has
re-booted that is supposed to tell the client-side software
to get a new file-handle because of an attempt to access with
a stale file-handle. When getting this error, the client
should have reopened the file(s) to obtain a new handle.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).