Re: 2.6.0test9 + 2 * P IV Xeon 2.4GHz with HT + SATA + RAID1 = schedulerproblems

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 06:44:04 EST

Catalin BOIE wrote:

Hi!

I want to tell you that 2.6.0-test gets better and better. It works very
very well on several systems. Thank you very much, guys.

I have an server (like in the subject). The problem is that the scheduler
seems to behave weird. Sometimes a program just do nothing. There is no
disk activity, interrupts are a little over 1000, no disk requests,
context switches are ~40. The system is idle but it has work to do!
Can I provide more info?

I tried to put elevator=deadline and things seems worse.

If I'm not mistaken, the processes are in D state. Bt I'm not sure, I must
check again and right now I can't.

Hi,
Please capture a Ctrl + Scroll Lock dump when you get processes stuck in
D state.

Also I suspect that scheduler doesn't pay special attention to virtual
(HT) processors. Is this true?

This is correct. Are you seeing any problems with HT? I think Linus
was hoping the NUMA / SMP scheduler could be generalised a bit more
so that HT would just fall into place. This might not happen before
2.7, so the shared runqueue approach might be the next best thing
(I like it).