Re: kernel.bkbits.net off the air

From: Ryan Anderson
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 19:46:59 EST

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:21:34PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> Seriously though; There isn't another way that I can see for mirroring cvs
> repos coherently, unless cvsup does something clever? Anyone know?

cvsup does something clever.

For non-CVS repositories, it uses the "rsync" algorithm.

For CVS repositories, it will do per-change updates.

I'm not sure what it does if a change disappears from the source
(haven't tried that yet), but I do know that if you are careful enough
to avoid creating conflicting revision numbers in the mirror, you can
*commit* to it as well.

I'm using cvsup for mirroring a CVS repository at work, and it's worked
very well (and is remarkably low load).

I believe the "mirror consistency" problem isn't solved by this
unfortunately, but considering that there are mirrors not using rsync, I
have a feeling that it's not truly solvable, entirely.

I think I can provide an example set of configuration files for cvsup
now that I've configured it 3 times, if anyone is interested.

--

Ryan Anderson
sometimes Pug Majere