Re: 2 TB partition support

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 14:38:10 EST

Andi> Bernd Schubert <Bernd.Schubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Are 2TB possible with an unpatched 2.4.x 64bit-AMD64 kernel? The
>> partion is supposed to be reiserfs. I read an about 2 years old
>> discussion about this and Hans Reiser statet that the maximum size
>> is about 2GB. Unfortunality I don't know what this 'about' depends
>> on. Furthermore our server for this will be an Opteron and so
>> perhaps this limit is much higher on 64bit systems.

Andi> In theory yes, but note that nobody tested the drivers for 64bit
Andi> cleanness in block numbers. I would do careful testing first if
Andi> your block driver supports
>> 2TB.

Has the kmalloc problem in Reiserfs gone away? It used to be that the
limit for a Reiser filesystem was determined by how many pointers
could fit into a kmalloced chunk of memory; thus the 64-bit system
limit was half teh 32-bit system limit.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*