Re: reiserfs 3.6 problem with test9

From: Samium Gromoff
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 11:12:51 EST

> > Last time I had a box with similar problems it was memory. I'd put
> > your system through a memtest.
>
> thanks for your answer.
> I did as you said but no problem (memtest 3.0).

For how long did you run the test?

It is known that often a 24-hour memtest is not enough to find real world
memory failures.

Also it is known that gcc (yeah you`ll wonder) is much better at finding them,
so there`s the question: do you compile stuff often, and if so, whether
gcc bails out with "internal error" messages sometimes?

Also, if i were you i would do the following:

bash-2.05b$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test bs=1048576 count=1024
bash-2.05b$ bzip2 test
bash-2.05b$ bunzip2 test.bz2

And if you have a memory failure bzip2 checksumming would show that up on the
bunzip2 stage.

regards, Samium Gromoff