Re: 2.6.0-test9-bk16 ALi M5229 kernel boot error

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 10:53:54 EST

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:

> I'm not sure there was any logic at all, given extremely misleading
> comments in the original code. That "south-bridge's enable bit" stands
> for "enable input pins for 80-conductor cable detection" according
> to my (rather sparse) docs, and I don't understand why the hell it has
> anything to do with a northbridge.

The thing is, those "enable input pins" are actually GPIO's, and some
boards don't use them as cable detect enables..

The whole thing should probably be done as a PCI quirk. Anyway, I'll
change my patch to be the absolute minimal one, ie just adding the
!isa_dev test instead of removing the old confused logic. I'm pretty
certain that we shouldn't touch those GPIO's at all, but since some boards
probably _do_ want them enabled, let's go for the minimal "avoid oops"
approach.

Linus