wrong grub install, do I need to fdisk -mbr on that drive?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 08:51:02 EST

Greetings;

In the process of getting ready to swap to a new boot drive, a
"grub-install" put everything on /dev/hdd since it was mapped to
'(hd1)' in the /boot/grub/device.list.

I fixed the device.list on the current boot drive, hda, and reran the
grub-install script. But do I need to undo what it did to /dev/hdd
before I make /dev/hdb into /dev/hda, and make /dev/hda into /dev/hdb
by swapping jumpers on the drive and rebooting? I've fixed the
/etc/fstab copy put on the new drive to reflect the new partition
numbers for this and that.

With 3 drives stacked up, they are running very hot, and I'd like to
get /dev/hdd out of there, and space the old /dev/hda up into its
location giveing an empty space between the drives so they'll run
cooler as quickly as I can. I think I'll need to edit the copy of
grub.conf on the new drive to boot from the correct / partition too.

Have I missed anything?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M