Re: So, Poll is not scalable... what to do?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 00:32:57 EST

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 05:52:42PM -0600, kirk bae wrote:
> If poll is not scalable, which method should I use when writing
> multithreaded socket server?

Honnestly, if you're using threads (I mean lots of threads, such as one
per connection), I don't think that poll performance will be your worst
ennemy. The first thing to do is to handle the task switching yourself
either with a publicly available coroutine library or with one of your own.

Take a look here for more a comparison of several available methods :

http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

epoll is compared to other methods with numbers here :

http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/nio-improve.html

Cheers,
Willy