USB mass storage device problem

From: jim beam
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 21:03:55 EST

Hello,

I am attempting to get a CompactFlash reader to work (Soyo SB-K7VXBP). The device sits in a 3.5" bay and plugs directly into a USB1 connector on my motherboard. It also provides two USB ports, which work.

The CompactFlash reader almost works. At bootup, I get this message:

hub 3-0:1.0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 2
Vendor: SOYO Model: USB Storage-SMC Rev: 0214
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2

The device shows up in /sys/block/sda and in /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage. Also, /dev/sda is created as a symlink to /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc (I am using devfs).

However, when try to mount /dev/sda, I get an error saying "No medium found". I have tried inserting the card after booting and also before booting, with the same result. I am using the 2.6.0-test9 kernel, but I have had this device since early 2.4 and it has never worked. It is not damaged hardware because Windows detects it as a drive.

Trying to run fdisk on /dev/sda gives the message "Unable to open /dev/sda". Is there something else I need to do, or any more information I can provide to debug this problem?

Thanks,
Jim