Re: Some thoughts about stable kernel development

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 18:41:47 EST

On Sul, 2003-11-09 at 19:26, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Well yes. Two days after 2.4.20 was released we discovered a
> data-corrupting bug in ext3. I had no means of delivering a fix for that
> apart from sticking a bunch of patches on my web page and making a lot of
> noise about it.
>
> So there is a case for a "2.4.20-post1" release to address such things.

For 2.2 I kept changelogs and errata patches for any big problem. For
-ac its always been a bit simpler because -ac1 is in part 2.4.20-post1
so I had an unfair advantage over people. The other thing -ac did was a
new patch every 2-3 days. The more you get out the more feedback you get
back and the faster you take fixes (even small ones) the more
committment you get from other people in my experience.