elf_core_dump and kernel virtual mapping (kmap) in 2.4

From: Bhavesh P. Davda
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 13:40:10 EST

Folks,

I have been trying to figure out an answer for this, but couldn't find
anything in the lkml archives or in bitkeeper changeset logs on why this is
done:

Why does the kernel have to re-map process virtual memory into it's address
space using get_user_pages() and kmap() when dumping core (elf_core_dump)?
Isn't the kernel running in the context of the task for which it is dumping
core (current)? And thereby, aren't the kernel's VM mappings the same as the
task it is dumping core for? So the page directory and page table entries
should all still be valid in kernel space. And page faults, if any, should
be handled "correctly", right?

What am I missing here? What's the need for the get_user_pages() and kmap()
in elf_core_dump()?

Thanks
- Bhavesh

--