Re: 2.6 /proc/interrupts fails on systems with many CPUs

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 13:38:03 EST

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> OK, I was actually trying to avoid the use of vmalloc, instead of the
> unconditional conversion to vmalloc, which is what the original patch did ;-)

Yes, I realize that, but it's the old case of

"I'm totally faithful to my husband - I never sleep with other men when
he is around"

joke.

Basically, if it's wrong to use, it's wrong to use even occasionally. In
fact, having two different code-paths just makes the code worse.

Yes, I realize that sometimes you have to do it that way, and it might be
the simplest way to fix something. In this case, though, the cost and
fragility of a generic interface is not worth it, since the problem isn't
actually in the generic code at all..

Linus