Re: 2.6.0-test9-mm2

From: Daniel Drake
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 12:24:56 EST

I've been getting a couple of audio skips with 2.6.0-test9-mm2. Haven't heard a skip since test4 or so, so I'm assuming this is a result of the IO scheduler tweaks.

Here's how I can produce a skip:
Running X, general usage (e.g. couple of xterms, an emacs, maybe a mozilla-thunderbird)
I switch to the first virtual console with Ctrl+Alt+F1. I then switch back to X with Alt+F7. As X is redrawing the screen, the audio skips once.
This happens most of the time, but its easier to reproduce when i am compiling something, and also when I cycle through the virtual consoles before switching back to X.

System:
AMD XP2600+
nForce2 motherboard
512MB RAM
nvidia GeForce4 Ti4800

Audio being played through the intel8x0 alsa module.
I use the nvidia binary graphics driver with X.

XMMS 1.2.8
XFree 4.3.0

If theres any other info I can give, please tell me and I'll do my best to help out.

Andrew Morton wrote:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test9/2.6.0-test9-mm2/

- Various random fixes. Maybe about half of these are 2.6.0-worthy.

- Some improvements to the anticipatory IO scheduler and more readahead
tweaks should help some of those database benchmarks.

The anticipatory scheduler is still a bit behind the deadline scheduler
in these random seeky loads - it most likely always will be.

- "A new driver for the ethernet interface of the NVIDIA nForce chipset,
licensed under GPL."

Testing of this would be appreciated. Send any reports to linux-kernel
or netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx and Manfred will scoop them up, thanks.

- I shall be offline for a couple of days.