Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 14:27:02 EST

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I take it that if the IDE maintainer and you don't use a device it will
> not be supported in the future?

You take it wrong.

However, I'll spell this out in small words, since you don't seem to be
getting it:

open source is not about me and the IDE maintainer doing all the
work.

Nobody seems to be sending patches either to fix ide-scsi _or_
those other devices you claim you're so interested in.

I fixed the IDE CD driver to work. I care. The fact that nobody
else seems to care about anything else is the final word.

Do you get it? It's all about technology. I don't hate you. Really. I'm
not here to try to make things difficult for you. But also, I'm not here
to be your personal slave, and if you think I am, you're just WRONG and
you should just realize that I don't care about what you think.

> I admit I can't understand why 2.6 supports old NICs and motherboard
> chipsets which haven't been made in five years, and then deliberately
> desupports devices which did work and which are available at computer
> stores and mail order today.

Those other devices have people MAINTAINING THEM AND CARING!

What's so horribly hard to understand about this? You're barking up the
wrong tree.

Again, I tell you once more:

- for burning IDE CD-ROM's you should use the IDE driver. Not ide-scsi.
End of discussion. It's a supported and _improved_ situation from where
it was in 2.4.x.

- For all those devices you claim exists, show me the patches. Nobody
broke ide-scsi on purpose - but the fact is that nobody also ever came
forward and _fixed_ it.

Get it now?

So come back to me when you find somebody who cares enough about the
devices you claim exists enough that he actually _does_ something about
it. Until then, there's just no point in bothering me. Comprende?

Linus