Re: 512MB/1GB RAM

From: Peter Suetterlin
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 11:38:09 EST

Hello Peng,

I found your mail posting via google, because I do have the same
problems as you and was looking for a solution:

I have an Asus M3N that is supposed to support 1GB of memory. I
bought it with 512MB, and everything worked fine, Then I bought a
memory upgrade of another 512MB, and as soon as I plug it in, I get
two problems:

- without anything else, i.e., using the full 1GB of memory, the
system is unusably slow (takes some 5-10 minutes just to boot).
The main problem seems to be the hard disk, things that do not need
the disk seem to work OK (I didn't try much - the system really is
unusable...)

- I can restrict the memory usage with, e.g., mem=992M. Then
immediately the speed is back - but the pcmcia card slot no longer
works. Same is true for the sound.

I'm (trying to) post this to the LKML - not sure if it's possible, as
I'm not subscribed. But if soeone needs more info I'm willing to test
stuff out.
Best,

Pit

--