Patrick's Test9 suspend code.

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 05:09:14 EST

So a few idiosyncrasies using patrick's suspend code (I.E. the one that
actually works for me. Mostly).

1) If you suspend a process (ctrl-z), suspend to disk, and the resume, the
suspended process is unfrozen. (Needless to say, this confuses bash job
control a bit, since my shell is also unfrozen, so ctrl-c isn't doing
anything here...) Try it with a big make, it's fun. :)

2) "Snapshotting memory" is _really_slow_ for a CPU bound task on a 900 mhz
celeron scanning the memory of a machine that has less than 200 megs of ram.
My guess is that the "suspend all the hardware" phase accidentally put the
CPU (or memory bus or some such) into a low-power state where it's still
running, but at maybe 1/10th normal speed.

3) Suspend works about 90% of the time (echo -e "disk" > /sys/blah), but every
once in a while I have one of two failure cases:

A) Either it panics (and then blanks the screen on my a few seconds later, yes
I've tried switching that off with setterm -blank, if anything that made it
happen faster after a panic.)

B) Or it resumes after the snapshot, booting back up to the desktop. No
"writing pages to disk" phase (that I've noticed). Repeatedly telling it to
suspend when it does this fails the same way, although I got it to suspend by
exiting X afterwards and suspending from the console. It's like there's an
uninitialized variable on the stack that's getting crap in it, or something.
(Nothing in the log about snapshotting having failed...)

This brings us to 2B) Snapshotting is way too opaque. It sits there for 15
seconds sometimes doing inscrutable things, with no progress indicator or
anything, and then either suspends, panics, or fails and fires the desktop
back up with no diagnostic message.

On the whole, this is really really cool, and if you have any suggestions how
I could help, I'm all ears. (I'm unlikely to poke into the code too
extensively this week, converting the bzip compression-side code to C is
still taking up my free time. I may take a whack at it for kicks if there's
some low hanging fruit, though. But that tends to lead me down ratholes (see
"bzip")...)

Rob

P.S. Is there a mailing list to discuss this on? I asked on the swsusp list
and they said no, that was for discussing the work of nigel and pavel, and
their stuff doesn't work for me. I'm happy to be a guinea pig to test out
new versions. I backup my laptop regularly. :)