/dev/rtc on alpha

From: Bob McElrath
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 16:41:29 EST

In a nutshell, the rtc driver on alpha does not work. This is easily
verified with the small program in Documentation/rtc.txt -- all ioctl's
fail. (I tried on an LX164 and a CS20) That's the /dev/rtc driver
drivers/char/rtc.c. I'd like to make it work but don't understand
what's going on with the rtc interrupt in arch/alpha/kernel/*. So, can
some expert comment on this situation for me?

The /dev/rtc driver builds and loads fine but the define RTC_IRQ is not
set in include/asm-alpha/mc146818rtc.h. Naievely setting it, the driver
still builds and loads, but is unable to grab the interrupt (IRQ 8)
because the code in arch/alpha/kernel grabbed it first.

Why is the alpha kernel code grabbing the rtc interrupt? Is it possible
it share its use with a user program? Would reprogramming the interrupt
rate by a user program do violence to some internel kernel timing?

Thanks,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]