Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 16:20:58 EST

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:31:06 +0100 "Prakash K. Cheemplavam" <prakashpublic@xxxxxx> wrote:

| Nick Piggin wrote:

| >> Yeah, runs nicely. (dmesg is quiet, as well.) Seems like it was only a
| >> minor issue in mm2, lloking at the patch...Very well.
| >

| > Thanks a lot for your patience Prakash. Looks like its fixed then.
|
| Happy I could help. :-)
|
| > Yeah it was a pretty minor problem: you were triggering lots of warnings,
| > but if you can't see them in dmesg, maybe /proc/sys/kernel/printk is
| > configured to not show them.
| >
| > Have a look at Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt if you'd like to fix that
| > up. Thanks again.
|
| Hmm, the document explains the setting but not exactly how to change
| them. cat printk gives me:
|
| 1 4 1 7
|
| which according to the doc means:
|
| - console_loglevel: messages with a higher priority than
| this will be printed to the console
| - default_message_level: messages without an explicit priority
| will be printed with this priority
| - minimum_console_loglevel: minimum (highest) value to which
| console_loglevel can be set
| - default_console_loglevel: default value for console_loglevel
|
| Are my settings not enough? How to change them? Using echo x y z w >
| bla/printk ?

Yes, that works. Or to change only console_loglevel, you can use
Alt-SysRq-# (use 9 for # to print/log all messages) [works only if
you have Magic SysRq key enabled].

| Another q: I guess I should enable frame pointers in kernel compilation
| otherwise I won't get call traces, right?

Frame pointers can help with call traces, but we usually get decent
back traces even without them. IOW, they aren't required for
back traces.

--
~Randy