Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 18:34:55 EST

On Friday 07 November 2003 08:21, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Note this still doesn't mean you can scroll large X windows for two or
> > three seconds at a time without burning a coaster.
> >
> > I had high hopes with the new scheduler, but no. (Maybe if I niced the
> > heck out of cdrecord...)
>
> Wow, is the new scheduler that broken? cdrecord run as a realtime process
> and should definitely keep going pretty much in spite of what you do. It's
> realtime priority and locked in core IIRC. The only problem I've had is
> running out of data burning from NFS mounted data, if I get a load of SPAM
> the network gets slow. My fault for not spending the time to copy the data
> twice or buy a burnfree device.

I dunno what I did. This was -test9, using dev=/dev/hdc. It was also
something like a week ago. Halfway through the burn it died because the
buffer had run dry, and I made a second coaster to confirm that it was
scrolling a konqueror window that had done it.

I probably forgot to run it as root. (I don't remember it complaining, but I
was in the middle of about four other things at the time. It did _start_ the
burn, and made it about halfway through.) My laptop was also on battery
power, which may have had something to do with it, although I have a vague
recollection of that working previously, and the battery wasn't anywhere near
dead...

It's not something I've really followed up on. It works if I leave it alone
while it burns, and I haven't had to burn that many cds recently. (I was
burning a knoppix cd for a friend.) I mostly back up through the network...

Rob