Re: NFS Locking violates protocol spec (incompatible with FreeBSD)

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 23:48:19 EST

> contains more details about this problem, including a
> workaround for FreeBSD to limit the cookie size to 8 bytes.
> Obviously, it would be better for this bug to be fixed in
> Linux, since Linux is non-conformant to the protocol.

Yes. I saw a mail with a justification for why you want to be able to
wait on > 2^64 outstanding lock requests to a single lockd server, and
was highly amused.
I'm still hoping the person who decided that he needed 1024 byte
long cookies will own up some day. OTOH, he might still be busy
testing his locking code for cookie wraparound...

Anyhow, a patch exists (written by Greg Banks), and can be found as

http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/Linux-2.4.x/2.4.23-pre9/linux-2.4.23-01-fix_osx.dif

No. It does not extend the cookie size to 1k...

Cheers,
Trond