Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: John Bradford
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 14:55:19 EST

Quote from Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>:

> ide-scsi has always been broken. You should not use it, and indeed there
> was never any good reason for it existing AT ALL. But because of a broken
> interface to cdrecord, cdrecord historically only wanted to touch SCSI
> devices. Ergo, a silly emulation layer that wasn't really worth it.

Hmmm, but ide-scsi is used for a lot more than cd recorders these
days. Alan mentioned 'crazy' SATA devices back in April.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105000779411632&w=2

(Not that I'm suggesting that it is particularly sane to deal with an
SATA connected printer by presenting it as a SCSI device, but I just
can't see how ide-scsi could successfully be removed now :-( )

John.