Re: C3 compiled 2.4.20 kernel blows up on EPIA M (summary)

From: brian
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 11:31:33 EST

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:23:23PM -0800, brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a VIA EPIA M10000 motherboard.
> http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81
>
> A 2.4.20 gentoo-sources kernel compiled with
> CONFIG_MCYRIXIII blows up during boot. Basically just after
> hitting return on grub the screen turns to all blue 'V's and
> then the acts like someone pushed the reset button.
> 386 and 586 kernels work fine.
> I'm running gcc 3.2.3

I always like to follow up my own postings with a summary of the
results for future searches.

The VIA EPIA M10000 does not have a C3 processor on it so far
as release 2.4.20 of the kernel is concerned. It has a C3-2
processor which apparently has a somewhat different instructions
set. So use '-march=i686 -mmmx -msse' for gcc, and
'Pentium II/Celeron' for the kernel.

--
Brian Litzinger