Re: BK2CVS problem

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 08:28:53 EST

Andrew Walrond wrote:
Somebody getting access to and inserting exploits directly into the linux source is not something we should take lightly. Whilst we understand the limits of the problem, the fact that it happened at all could get /.'d out of all proportion and be used to seriously undermine linux's reputation

Well, it's hit /. and OSNews already this morning.

Mainstream media is now aware of Linux; for better or worse, someday, an issue like this is going to leak beyond Slashdot onto the pages of the Wall Street Journal and ZDNet. Maybe not this time -- but eventually.

Open development is the ultimate in honesty -- and honesty leaves us vulnerable to being bitten by the ignorati and anti-freedom forces.

--
Scott Robert Ladd