Re: [MOUSE] Alias for /dev/psaux

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 12:51:16 EST

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> We could save the bootup mouse settings (the mouse will tell us) and
> restore them after we go trough all the probing if desired.

That sounds like a good idea. At least for the mice that we didn't
recognize, that otherwise get basically "random" commands.

How about something like this:

- if "mouse_noext" is set (which implies that we won't be doing any
probing), we also don't set rate/precision unless the user asked us.

Thus "psmouse_noext" becomes the "ultra-safe" setting. We still want to
have some way to set things like wheel etc info by hand later on (ie as
a response to the user _telling_ us what mouse it is), but that's a
more long-range plan.

- if we do probing, we first ask the mouse for its current details, and
we restore the thing by default afterwards. That at least should give
us 2.4.x behaviour unless the mouse is broken (and for broken mice
you'd just have to have "mouse_noext").

Again, long-term we'd want to have the possibility of tweaking the
results later even with the autodetection.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Linus