Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right

From: Brian Beattie
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 09:03:31 EST

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:54, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:17:55 EST, "Richard B. Johnson" said:
> >
> > > Yeah. Nobody should ever use a word that's spelled like paradigm!
> > > How about "really good example..." (which is what it means).
> >
> > No, a paradigm is "a way of looking at things" or "a world view".
> > So this would include paradigms like "the world is flat" or "monolithic
> > kernels are preferable" or "gcc is the only compiler for the kernel".
> >

> No. don't you think I look things up in a dictionary before I
> write a definition?
>
> The Webster's "New Collegiate Dictionary", 150th Anniversary
> Edition clearly states;
>
> 1. EXAMPLE, PATTERN;esp: an outstandingly clear or typical
> example or archetype.

And I read the complete reference before I get pissy

"One entry found for paradigm.
Main Entry: par·a·digm
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"dIm also -"dim
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin paradigma, from Greek paradeigma, from
paradeiknynai to show side by side, from para- + deiknynai to show --
more at DICTION
Date: 15th century
1 : EXAMPLE, PATTERN; especially : an outstandingly clear or typical
example or archetype
2 : an example of a conjugation or declension showing a word in all its
inflectional forms
3 : a philosophical and theoretical framework of a scientific school or
discipline within which theories, laws, and generalizations and the
experiments performed in support of them are formulated"

Futher English is a plastic language and meanings and nuances change
over time.
--
Brian Beattie | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
beattie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | programmer, direct or contract, short or

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto