Re: IA64/simulators - Kconfig logic for drivers/*

From: David Mosberger
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 16:57:55 EST

>>>>> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:41:07 -0800 (PST), "Noah J. Misch" <noah@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Noah> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> > Why not include drivers/Kconfig and scrap the individual subdirectory
>> > includes, as i386 does?

>> At that time, I hadn't done the work to create drivers/Kconfig ;-)
>> The main problem for ia64 is the simulator stuff. Maybe something like:

>> if !IA64_HP_SIM
>> source "drivers/Kconfig"
>> endif

>> if IA64_HP_SIM
>> source "drivers/base/Kconfig"
>> source "drivers/scsi/Kconfig"
>> source "net/Kconfig"
>> source "drivers/block/Kconfig"
>> source "arch/ia64/hp/sim/Kconfig"
>> endif

Noah> I would guess that everyone who uses a simulator is a kernel
Noah> developer or maybe an application developer. I worry that the
Noah> risk of hiding useful configs from simulator users by lax
Noah> maintenance of that block of Kconfig logic exceeds the risk of
Noah> those people trying to build a simulator kernel with all kinds
Noah> of hardware drivers and finding that it doesn't work. A
Noah> quieter configuration is nice, however. Hmmm.

I suspect it should be possible to do this much cleaner with the new
Kconfig system. For example, if all PCI-dependent drivers really do
specify "depends on PCI" (or something equivalent), then a good
portion of the hopeless drivers would automagically go away from the
simulator configuration. What's there now "works", but it clearly
could stand some modernization.

--david