Re: PROBLEM: Oops in __is_prefetch with 2.6.0-test9-bk4 at boot timewith Athlon XP 1800+

From: matze
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 04:41:16 EST

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Maybe you just have a miscompilation of some sort. Do a make mrproper and try
> again. You can also try if it happens with a smaller configuration.

I thought more about this... and looked into Documentation/Changes again
for the compiler version. All the reports at linux-kernel about timings
and kernel image size made me think, that gcc 3.x is no problem anymore.

And it seems that gcc 3.3.2 miscompiles something with my configuration. I
did a quick test using 2.95.3 today in the morning and the bootup seemed
to work.

I'm at work now, but I'll do some more tests tonight.

Sorry, that I've wasted your time, I should have known this.

If anybody is interested to track down the miscompilings, I can provide
any info needed. The least what I can do...

Thanks,
Matze

--
Matthias Hanisch mailto:matze@xxxxxxxxxxx phone: +49 8137 935-219