Re: 2.6 - sysfs sensor nameing inconsistency

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 13:57:43 EST

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 02:29, Greg KH wrote:

> Thanks, I've applied this and will send it off to Linus in a bit.

thank you.

> > it just arbitrarily (re-)names them. "min" is not hysteresis; name is
> > badly chosen.
>
> Do you have a proposed change to the current
> Documentation/i2c/sysfs-interface document? If you can think of better
> names that make more sense, I'd be glad to change things to make it
> easier.

it is probably too late now to change sysfs names when some programs already
use it. I'll check sysfs-interface, thank you for pointer.

> > > They show up on the legacy bus:
> > >
> > > $ tree /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-1/
> > > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-1/
> > >
> > > |-- device -> ../../../devices/legacy/i2c-1
> >
> > This does not help much. Libsensors expects as adapter identification
> > either "i2c-N" or "isa". If I set it to "isa" I do not have any way to
> > determine sysfs path except by rescanning /sys/class/i2c-adapter every
> > time. Having /sys/class/i2-adapter/isa/... would be better, apparently it
> > is assumed that only one such adapter can exist.
>
> No, we internally do not differentiate between isa and non-isa adapters,
> so why should we force that on the user? They work the same as far as
> users notice, and now we are consistant in our naming.

Well, I just tried to match what users get out of libsensors on 2.4. The
reason was compatibility with /etc/sensors.conf where "isa" can possibly be
used as part of chip name. But I'd like that someone from sensors developers
comment on this.

thank you for your comments.

-andrey