Re: many ide drives, raid0/raid5

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 06:06:03 EST

* Florian Reitmeir (squat@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm using on the machine kernel 2.6.0-test6-mm1 and 15 IDE
> Drives. Everything worked fine (uptime about 30 days) > I used, some
> raid5's, below some raid0's and on top evms.

> heres "cat /proc/mdstat" so its more clear
>
> ============ cut
> Personalities : [raid0] [raid5]
> md4 : active raid5 hdp[2] hdo[1] hdn[0]
> 120627072 blocks level 5, 32k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [UUU_]

This isn't too unusual; if as you say the drives are fine then I'd agree
it is probably a controller issue. I've got a RAID that does this
regularly and you normally find in the log somewhere an IDE error of
some type (typically it dropping out of DMA due to a busy or it not
responding).

I've given up using multiple IDE PCI cards for this - they only just
work, and occasionally you'll get a glitch like this. I've tried
a mixture of Promise and HPT cards. In the end I gave up and got
a 3ware IDE RAID card which is working fine (you could just use it
as a large multichannel IDE card and run soft raid if you want I think).

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /