Re: Transparent compression in the FS

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 13:18:06 EST

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 01:19:09PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > FYI, I invented RLE and I also
> > put it into JMODEM the "last" file-transfer protocol that
> > I created in 1989. http://www.hal9k.com/cug/v300e.htm
>
> RLE has been around a *lot* longer than that.
> There are even several patents long before you 'invented' it.
>
> 1975:
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F4031515
>
> 1983:
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4,586,027.WKU.&OS=PN/4,586,027&RS=PN/4,586,027
>

> Dave

JMODEM was done in 1989 as stated. RLE was invented my ME in 1967 and
was first used for a digital telemetry link between the Haystack research
facility in Groton, Mass. and MIT's main campus. I was a technician there
during my senior year at Northeastern. Whether or not it was patented
by others is immaterial.

FYI, there are a lot of things I invented that others patented.
The "Rubber Duckey" antenna (used in cell-phones and other
transceivers) comes to mind.

Even stuff, in which my name is mentioned as a "co-inventor"
ends up being attributed to others, i.e., Gordon, et.al.

United States Patent 5,577,026
Apparatus for transferring data to and from a moving device.
European Patent number 95906032.8-2206

This, where I not only invented it, but single-handedly
built it because the others mentioned in the patent were
nay-sayers, claiming it wouldn't work.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).