Re: Unbloating the kernel, action list

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 10:07:33 EST

On Wed, 2003-10-15 06:10:15 -0700, William Lee Irwin III <wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20031015131015.GR16158@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 02:48:42PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > I can put on the table:
> > Unfortunately, you need an additional kernel patch because nearly all
> > distros are using mach==i486 which gives you nice sigills on an i386
> > otherwise...
>
> Can you quantify the performance impact of cmov emulation (or whatever
> it is)? I have a vague notion it could be hard given the daunting task
> of switching userspace around to verify it.

I can't. I'm haven't seen a really noticeable impact, but that doesn't
tell much:) However, there's no other chance than emulating cmov and
locked xchgs. If glibc/libstdc++ would go back, ABI would break and you
couldn't any longer copy programs build within one distribution over to
another.

So I think I'll diff out the patch and send it for review (note: it was
_not_ initially written by me!).

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg