Re: why does netfilter make upload very slow? (was: Re: e1000 -> 82540EM on linux 2.6.0-test[45] very slow in one direction)

From: Harald Welte
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 05:08:55 EST

Hi Florian!

I'm Cc'ing all the mailinglists in order to keep them posted about the
question you've raised there. All further discussion will move to
netfilter-devel, so for those interested: Please continue there.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:28:50AM +0200, Florian Zwoch wrote:
> >a) CONFIG_NETFILTER disabled. you won't even have the netfilter hooks
> > in the network stack (so certainly no netfilter-using modules loaded)
> no problem
>
> >b) CONFIG_NETFILTER enabled, but _no_ modules (iptable_filter,
> > ip_conntrack, ...) attached to the netfilter hook
> no problem
>
> >c) CONFIG_NETFILTER enabled and iptable_filter.o (which pulls ip_tables.o)
> > loaded, NO RULES in the table
> no problem
>
> >d) CONFIG_NETFILTER enabled and iptable_filter.o (which pulls ip_tables.o)
> > loaded, RULES in the table
> no problem (as long as i dont load any rules that require ip_conntrack)
>
> >e) CONFIG_NETFILTER enabled and ip_conntrack.o loaded, iptable_filter
> > loaded or not, rules or not
> *boink*

So It's clearly the connection tracking subsystem. This is on one hand
good (because it means it's neither netfilter nor iptables).

> whenever i try to load ip_conntrack the nic performance drops from 5mb/s
> to 200k/s.

On the other hand, this is definitely way worse than you would expect.
Can you please tell me more information about:

- number of connections you have? (cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | wc -l)
- number of buckets and ip_conntrack_max (printed at ip_conntrack
loadtime
- your traffic pattern. Are you spraying udp packets with random
src/dst? What kind of connections (protocol, application) are you
testing with?
- what about the hardware (cpu, memory, smp?)

Even the worst tests we've had so far (random UDP packets) 'only'
reduced the througput by about 50%. Maybe we can do better than 50%
worst case behaviour, but you will always observe a visible impact as
soon as you start connection tracking for every single packet (which is
what 'insmod ip_conntrack' implies).

> still using 2.6.0-test6.

Have you observed this behaviour with other kernel versions? Was there
a performance change between 2.4 and 2.6? Or did you always observe
this grave performance loss?

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.netfilter.org/
on while IP was being designed." -- Paul Vixie