Re: nvidia.o on 2.4.22/2.6.0 ??

From: Guy
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 21:35:49 EST

<maxvaldez@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > Have anyone made a successful run of X with nvidia (closes
> > source) module ??, I have a TNT2 running on a
> > 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 kernel, but when I try to run X on 2.4.22*
> > or 2.6.0* I alway get an error about my screen and
> > /dev/nvidia0.
>
> 1) Get the 4496 drivers from NVidia, use "--extract-only" to
> get the pieces out. 2) Surf over to http://www.minion.de/nvidia
> and pick up the patch. Apply it in the
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2/usr/src/nv directory. While
> booted to -test7, 'cp Makefile.kbuild Makefile' and then
> 'make'.
>
> (I posted more detailed directions a while ago, they should be
> in the list archives)
>
> It would certainly help if you were more specific about "get an
> error about my screen and /dev/nvidia0".

What Valdis said.

I have several nvidia cards in some of the machines I support.

Some pointers:

1} 2.4.20 is absolutely rock solid with the 4496 driver. If
stability is required, I strongly suggest 2.4.20.

2} If you want to play with 2.4.22 or 2.6, then set up multiple
kernels. That way you can switch between running stably and
experimenting at boot time. I use GRUB. Note that you'll need to
compile a version of the nvidia 4496 drivers for each kernel. To
prevent different versions of the nvidia driver from being
deleted, do # touch /lib/modules/2.X.Y-whatever/video/nvidia.o
after compiling each version.

3} Different mobos/chipsets and nvidia GPU combinations seem to be
more stable than others. My least stable combination of the
machines I have access to is the nforce chipset with the builtin
GeForce 2 graphics engine. I don't know if nvidia is responsible
for this irony or ASUS.

The drivers and patches indicated by Valdis work. On many
machines, you'll get "badness in pci_subsys_init in search.c"
messages. It's my opinion that this is something that nVidia
needs to fix. In 2.6.0-test7-bk3, APIC and ACPI seems reasonably
solid.

Guy

--
Recyle computers. Install Gentoo GNU/Linux.