Re: hotplug and /etc/init.d/hotplug

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 16:26:34 EST

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:53:46PM +0200, sting sting wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running RedHat 9 with 2.4.20-8 kernel ;
> Now , I have a questo about hotplug:
> I have hotplug-2002_04_01-17 installed (rpm);
>
> Now , I read the readme of this rpm ;
> in their "installing" section , clause 5 , it says:
> # cp etc/rc.d/init.d/hotplug /etc/rc.d/init.d/hotplug
> # cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
> # chkconfig --add hotplug

That is because Red Hat does not ship the /etc/init.d/hotplug script.
Take it up with them if you want them to change this.

> I checked on my machine and there is no "hotplug" file in that folder.
> Nevertheless, hotplugin works (because when I plug a USB camera
> I can see in the kernel log (/var/log/messages) messages which start with
> /etc/hotplug/usb.agent
>
> I also looked at the kernel code (method "call_polcy" in usb.c )
> and it doesn't seems to me that the hotplug in /etc/init.d is needed .

needed for what? For devices being plugged in and removed, no. But to
start up the usb subsystems, or shut them down, yes. Or you can do it
in the rc.sysinit script, which is what Red Hat does.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h