Re: [BUG] [2.4.21] 8139too 'too much work at interrupt'...

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 13:03:52 EST

Antonio Vargas wrote:
This happens to me also on 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 (yes, I know they are old).

Happens about once every 5 months, with the box running at
about 1 month uptime per reboot (home server, there is no UPS)

It's fairly normal for this event to occur. It's due to the 8139 hardware.. sometimes (perhaps during a DoS or ping flood) you can receive far more tiny packets than the driver wishes to deal with in a single interrupt.

The real solution is to convert the driver to NAPI...

Jeff