Re: make htmldocs

From: Karel Kulhavý
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 07:59:22 EST

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:04:13PM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:

> > > Depends on distribution.
> >
> > How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole system
> > manually.
>
> Not the problem of the kernel. If you can build your whole system
> manually, you also know how to use Google.

I put "install docbook stylesheets" into google and found:

* Norm Walsh's stylesheets for DocBook
* SGML DocBook Stylesheets
* docbook-stylesheets-doc
* docbook-dsssl-stylesheets
* DocBook XSLT stylesheets

Please tell me which of them should I install to get Linux Kernel
docs compiled.

> > Asking again: how do I install "DocBook stylesheets"?
>
> Replying again: Depends on distribution. (On Debian: apt-get install
> docbook docbook-dsssl).

On http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook there are:

docbook-dsssl
docbook-dsssl-doc
docbook-testdocs
docbook-xsl
jrefenty
litprog
slides
slides-demo
website
xslt-include-import-test

I can't see neither "docbook" nor "stylesheets". Please tell me which of
them should I use to install "DocBook stylesheets" or "docbook".

> > Do you say that the place where DocBook stylesheet sources can be downloaded
> > depends on distribution I have? I have been looking at their sourceforge
> > project page but there is nothing like "download DocBook stylesheets".
> > There are DocBook-dsssl and a ton of other cryptic packages but none of them
> > is stylesheets.
>
> Distributions tend to package these kind of projects. DocBook is one of
> the projects that has been packaged by the distributions. GCC is
> another project.

When I install gcc, I don't use any distribution-packaged whatever.
I just:
* download source tarball from GCC homepage
* ./configure
* make
* make install

Have done it already at least twenty times with various versions of gcc and
never needed anything packaged by any distribution.

Cl<