Re: [ANNOUNCE] VST (tick elimination) is now available

From: George Anzinger
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 07:42:51 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

The first release of the VST package is now available. VST or Variable Scheduling Timeouts (or if you prefer, Variable Sleep Times) contains code that, from the idle task, scans the timer list and, if no timer is near, skips the timer interrupts that would otherwise be generated. The patch name is hrtimers-vst-*

The net result is that a quite system will use far less power as it does not need to wake up ever 1/HZ timer tick.

Do you have some measurements of how much power does it save? Making
Sharp Zaurus run longer on batteries would certainly be nice ;-).
Pavel

Not just yet. This is a first cut and a good deal of work still needs doing. I could also say that that is why I put it out there :)

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx